12.11.2009

off to the {ballet} + links...





Every Christmas for the past few years, my mom and I go to see The Nutcracker Ballet. I know the story quite well now, but I love going specifically for The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies... it's my favourite part of the show, and usually includes the prettiest costumes. When I was younger I took ballet pretty seriously – actually, it's hard not to when they're so strict about it – but a couple of times, I was in the Nutcracker for "fun" – this you see, is where I think my mom got her "Black? Why black again? You should be wearing jeweltones" line from. While being dressed for costumes I remember the man getting a little crazy about the fact that someone should have put me in a copper dress..."Who put you in this colour?", "Switch with her immediately", "You should be wearing jeweltones!" lol... I can't help it though... as pretty as those colours are, i'll probably still choose that little black dress. I wonder if i'll hear the costume story again this weekend?

I hope you all have a lovely one though... putting up decorations and shopping for gifts. Looking forward to a few more holiday posts next week... soon enough Christmas will be here and gone! Here's a few of this week's links to send you off with...


Photos: Rachel Papo

12 comments:

Dustjacket Attic said...

I love the first picture!

Have a wonderful weekend, sounds great.
xxx

Sallie Ann said...

I too love everything about the Nutcracker...the costumes, the fantasy, the dancing and the wonderful music. I love it in spite of the fact that 15 years of ballet left me with 2 broken ankles, bad hips, 4 broken toes and who-knows how many little broken foot bones. Now I do my yoga, take a little Motrin, and watch from the audience.

Sarah Klassen said...

I hope you have a lovely time!

There's nothing like ballet -- it's so elegant, and magical, especially this time of year.

{xo}

Farfallina said...

Last december I went to see the Nutcracker too: It's too fabulous, and puts you right into that holiday mood! Have a ball!
X0 Farfallina

Daniella said...

Thanks everyone!

Sallie Ann - Yeah, I think that's why I stopped before pointe, ow!

Jena said...

The first picture is gorgeous!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

I love these dresses so much... the colors, the tulle... so lovely! have a great time, darling! xo

Anonymous said...

Okay this post made me so excited! I am a dancer with the National Ballet company and I just have to say you have a wonderful, inspiring blog here. I hope you enjoy the nutcracker!

Daniella said...

Anonymous - So great to hear from someone in the national ballet!! It's such hard work. Thanks for stopping by! The nutcracker was great tonight.

Kristin said...

I've always wanted to take ballet... I've been told by several professional ballet dancers that had I done it, I'd probably be really good at it. I think one even told me they were jealous of my leg extension? *shrug* Just never had the opportunity to take any classes and truly learn! I did take a class in college one semester and learned some really basic moves. It's one my favorite classes from college!

1x1000 said...

Oh the Nutcracker! A holiday tradition I instilled in my daughter, who is grown now & living in another city. I'm hopeful she'll keep it alive.

Now, I look forward to the Rockettes that come to town every other year!

caitlin of wanderlustings said...

i would love to have the job of making the costumes - simply stunning!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin