12.16.2009

on the {4th} day of christmas...






On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me...
four calling birds,
three french hens...
two turtle doves...
and a partridge in a pear tree...

For me, gingerbread is the ultimate Christmas cookie (along with shortbread of course). In the summertime gingerbread just doesn't seem right, but during the winter season the smell of ginger makes me feel all Christmasy inside. There are all kinds of gingerbread treats to enjoy, from crisp cookies to soft cakes, solid house walls for decorating, and even gingerbread waffles! But my favourite is a somewhat soft cookie dipped in white chocolate. It is so, so good. If you love baking... I hope you'll try this one out!

White Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
(this recipe makes a lot of cookies or enough for a gingerbread house)

7 cups of sifted flour
4 teaspoons of ginger
4 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of butter
2 cups of brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup of molasses

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix dry ingredients and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar, then blend in molasses. Mix well. Add in dry ingredients and mix the dough with your hands. Roll out the dough about a 1/4 inch thick (or thicker like I do for softer cookies) on the counter and cut with a circle cookie cutter.

Bake at 350ºF for approximately 10 mins or so. Once cookies have cooled, melt white chocolate chips in a wide mug or tall container and then dip each cookie in the chocolate. Place on parchment paper and chill in the fridge to set the chocolate. Enjoy!

*Note: Be very careful when melting chocolate as it doesn't take much to burn it. I recommend microwaving it for just a few seconds at a time and stirring in between to see if the chocolate is melted through. Or you can use a double-boiler technique.

Photos: Martha Stewart Living scanned by myself - Dress, Design & Decor

7 comments:

Blair said...

What a wonderful post! I can just taste the gingerbread.

Simply Mel said...

mouth watering.

Vitania said...

Your countdown is getting me so excited.. I love these little ginger treats..:-)

Did you read my article - about the tradition..;-) I didn't want to post on the comments...sorry..

In Honor Of Design said...

ooh thanks for sharing this recipe!
love the post!

Caitlin @ Sacramento Street said...

I have a few cookie exchanges to go to next week. My mouth just watered reading the recipe! Definitely going to make them for one of the exchanges. Thanks Daniella!

Kristin said...

Those photos are perfect. I just love this post, Daniella!

strawberry lemonade girl said...

These are gorgeous lady. Wow!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin