12.08.2009

your ideal evergreen...






As I write this the wind is seriously whistling outside and Miley keeps staring out the window all crouched down... word is there's a snowstorm on the way, but I guess we'll see when I wake up... winter is here though! While cosy inside with a cup of tea and Julie & Julia on (great movie btw!) I pulled out a few old Martha Stewart's from the winter season and started thinking about real Christmas trees.

I've never actually had a real tree for Christmas... is that weird? I don't know why my family never picked fresh over fake... but either way going off to the tree farm to pick out your tree seems like a whole lot of fun! And who knew there were so many kinds? I can just imagine the lovely smell that would fill your home. And thanks to Martha Stewart (as always) I found this handy guide to help you pick the perfect tree... here's a few tips...

- Remember to bring a measuring tape (you don't want a tree that won't fit at home!)
- Flag favourites with a bandanna, then it's easier to "comparison shop"
- First trees picked over are near the parking lot – head further in for a better selection.
- Leave a good stump on the tree when you cut it...
- Then trim half an inch at home before putting it in water.
- On a fresh tree needles should bend, not break, in your fingertips.
- Leave your new tree outside, away from sun and wind until you are ready to decorate.
- And of course, water your tree often!

My pick would have to be the Fraser Fir (pictured last), which is said to be aromatic and has strong, upright branches – ideal for ornaments... maybe next year i'll think about a real tree...

Do you buy a real tree or are you content with a fake one for Christmas?

P.S. Doesn't Martha Stewart typography just make you SO happy? I smile every time I see such a gorgeous type treatment in every issue.

Up close boughs by number: 1.Balsam Fir 2.Leyland Cypress 3."Carolina Sapphire" Cypress 4.Fraser Fir 5.Nordmann Fir 6.White Pine 7.Noble Fir 8.Douglas Fir 9."Blue Ice" Cypress 10.Concolor Fir

Photos: Scanned by myself from Martha Stewart Living... copy selections also from Martha Stewart.

15 comments:

Sarah Klassen said...

Great guide! I love Martha's guides -- they are always so helpful!

I always have a real tree. We do have a fake one in pewter, and I have a few small glam ones, but we always have a 10 foot tall real tree -- there's nothing like it!

We are going this weekend to get one :)

Daniella said...

I know! Martha Stewart (and all her employees) are genius! A 10 foot tall tree sounds amazing Sarah! How do you ever decorate something that big? lol... have fun picking one out!

owl and peacock : melina said...

Love this! My family just switched to fakes - 25 years will do that, I suppose. But when we did have real trees, we would never cut them down ourselves, but get them at tree lots. I sort of wish we would have gone into the wilderness and picked the *perfect* one!

kinga said...

I myself have a fake one...condo rules...it's 8ft tall and on the slender side so it doesn't take up alot of precious floor in a small space. But we do an annual tree cutting with my husband's family a few weeks before Christmas. We always go to Benjamin Tree farm in Waterloo, all bundled up and usually wearing silly hats. We pick out the perfect one, cut it down, and while they wrap the tree up we go inside thier little shop to warm up with some sugar cookies hot apple cider, and popcorn (complimentary)and do a little shopping for ornaments and hand made crafts. Then we go to the in-laws' and decorate while we watch Christmas Vacation...It's the best!...great post Daniella!

Daniella said...

Aww that sounds so awesome Kinga! And with complimentary cookies and cider? Yeah, I think next year i'll definitely consider a little real tree... it's too bad they don't allow them at your place!

Jaime said...

I love xmas trees- always the real thing for me! The smell is amazing.

A Life More Fabulous said...

Nothing beats the smell of a real tree. Still not sure if I'll get one this year though, may just have to enjoy the one at my mums...

Miz.November said...

I grew up with real trees. I live smack dab in the middle of Christmas tree country. But in recent years the prices have just gotten insane. Most locals now use artificial. I think the worst thing about a real tree is keeping it watered. Some people don't realize what a fire hazzard they can be.

Kristin said...

I can only recall having a real tree once. Every other year we've had fake trees. I think they're great because you don't have to water them... which is a difficult thing to do when you have a dog that'll drink water from just about anywhere. ;-)

Besides... real trees don't come in white, lol. (I'm really big on wanting a white Christmas tree all of a sudden.)

Real evergreen garland could be a good compromise if you wanted the fragance, but not the hassle.

Laura Gaskill said...

Beautiful pics! My family always had a real tree, but to be honest we usually picked it up at one of those grocery store tree lots.

But this year (since I moved to the east coast) we actually went to a tree farm - it's a tradition in my husband's family, and it was really fun! We got to flag the one one we want, and they will cut it for us when we're ready to bring it home!

...but there is something to be said for a mod white or pink plastic tree, too! lol

WhimsAndInconsistencies said...

I'm a fake tree gal. I have always had fake trees except my first year out of college when I lived with a real tree gal. I put her in charge of it because I didn't really want to deal with it. It shed everywhere and might have been the final straw in the death of my vacuum. It looked great, but fake is so much easier!

Daniella said...

Miz November - True, the whole fire haard thing is a concern... best to only have it light up while your within the room!

Kristin - Haha so true about having a dog! It'd be a new water dish, lol. White trees are beautiful though... I wanted to get one last year but they're so expensive!

Laura - See I think the best part would be going out with your family to pick one... so fun!

Whims... - Oh my! Haha the death of a vacuum is not good! I guess it'd be good to only pick up a tree for the last two weeks of December then?

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh wow! that tree is simply dreamy! I would looove to have a real tree, but here in Argentina is summer! pine trees specially grown for Christmas are very difficult to find... anyway, I found a very natural looking tree last year... today I added some white and silver organza ribbons. lovely!

Miss A said...

The smell IS great. However, if you are in an actual Christmas Tree Farm, you should have them put the stand on the tree for you because it is near impossible to get a tree to get int a stand all on your own. Unless you know someone who has experience. and don't forget a tree mat otherwise all the needles will get everywhere, and you should water it. Don't put it too close to a light either otherwise the tree can catch fire.

♥Simply Seductive said...

What a beautiful post. Since married, we have always opted for a real tree. I love the smell. This year, we're getting a small one in addition to a large-sized one for our living room, which we'll place on the landing of our front entrance outside. I like Caroline's idea of decorating her tree with white and silver organza ribbons. I plan to buy new decorations this year, but haven't decided on a color scheme. Decisions, decisions!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin