3.18.2010

stone house...




Before college I took a trip to Italy with my Dad, where we stayed in a little town up in the mountains where my family lives. I remember driving up the twisting roads of the mountains with just enough room to squeeze by another car and stopping on the side of the road to collect ice cold water coming straight out of the mountainside... but mostly, I remember how great their houses were... made from solid stone and concrete, that house wasn't going anywhere! With the heat of the summer, stone houses are supposed to be much cooler than brick. I like the look of stone though and how it has that real "crafted" feel. Houses now a days are so cookie cutter with entire neighbourhoods popping up over night. It's amazing how fast cities are growing now...

Which would you rather? Brand new or built for life?

Photos: Interieurs de Provence by Taschen - scanned by myself, A French Country Home by Jocelyn Sibuet - scanned by myself, Interieurs de Provence by Taschen - scanned by myself

7 comments:

escapade said...

Definitely always prefer `built for life` - nothing beats the unique, artistic details and commitment to quality. Often feel that new homes today `have no soul` - if you know what I mean...

t a n y a said...

built for life, hands down.

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

As a first-generation American, with family hailing from Europe, I am a stone house lover in a big way. I love the smell of stone and the way it changes with the weather. I love the cool, cloistered feel of stone on a hot summer's day. That said, our house here in Denver was built in 1913 of wood and brick, and is also "built to last". It's sad that we have left the appreciation of craftsmanship behind. It is certainly possible to build a house - even just of wood - that can last for centuries. We just don't make the effort anymore.

Kristi said...

Simply stunning! Oh and that sink makes me swoon. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

killer first image! i'm so jealous of your book collection!!

Blair said...

Absolutely stunning!!!

Marija said...

How about brand new built for life. Tough to do in midwest suburbia but definitely the goal :) Love those windows!!! Marija

Blog Widget by LinkWithin