4.13.2010

{guest post} mallorcan island paradise...





My best friend’s grandmother bought a flat in Mallorca almost 40 years ago. Growing up, she was the glamorous, almost mythical grandmother who spent half the year in Spain. For my high school graduation 10 years ago, my gift was a plane ticket to Mallorca, where I spent several happy weeks frolicking with my best friend, her mother, and her grandmother, whom I call Nana.

Mallorca is, to use a total cliché, an island paradise. The waters are turquoise blue, the beaches sandy and golden, the air crisp and clear, and the people friendly and gorgeous. It also has wonderful history and depth to it – Palma, the capital, is home to one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in the world. It was built by nomadic Moors, whose typical narrow and meandering streets make for delightful afternoons of wandering and exploring. There are also underground caves, mountains, secluded coves… it truly is a dream!

Nana’s flat is right on the beach, and I was fortunate enough to travel there again in college when I studied abroad in Spain. Before the start of every summer I can feel my Mallorcan biological clock start ticking… I long to wear billowy dresses, eat Mallorcan pastries on the balcony, snack on tapas at sunset, and take long siestas on the beach.

There are few places on this earth that truly feel like home, and Mallorca is one of mine.

- Michelle from Crane Contemplation

Photos: Adam Flip via Follow Studio, Le Tartine Gourmade

10 comments:

Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} said...

So beautiful pictures! And the place is stunning, I wanna go to Mallorca!

Bozena said...

I had my first taste of Mallorca when I was fifteen (a while ago...) and it was truly magical: landscape, architecture, atmosphere, people, nightlife - simply unforgettable...

Design Darling said...

itching to get over there as my semester in europe draws to a close! beautiful pictures and writing. love this series already :)

the red bungalow said...

These are gorgeous! It makes me want to travel...must start some vacation planning. :)

Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

Kristin Hjellegjerde said...

Lucky you to call this your home!!!!

Punctuation Mark said...

when you see these images it makes you wonder about living a fuller life filled with great experiences... have a nice day!

Sarah Klassen said...

That sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing such a lovely memory and story...

Leticia Blanco said...

Tú sí que sabes elegir!! Uppps, sorry, I meant, you are a smart woman!! Mallorca is simply gorgeous!

from spain,

leticia

Miz.November said...

Wow. You are a lucky girl. Those photos are amazing. I wish I had a place like Mallorca to escape to.

M. Crane said...

Thanks all for the lovely comments....xoxo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin