4.12.2010

{guest post} a parisian picnic...





The mere mention of the city is enough to send most travelers into a blissful trance... remembering the sights, the sounds, the tastes, the aromas... longing to be there again. I'm no different. I fell in love with the same person, and the same city, each one of the 10 days we were in Paris together.

In the three years that I've been with my boyfriend, we've spent more time in separate countries than we have in the same. It's been hard. After only 2 months of dating, while he was working in Africa, he surprised me by sending me my flight itinerary to meet him in Paris in May. We hadn't seen each other in almost 8 weeks when I landed. No amount of flying or exhaustion could keep us down. Our romance with Paris began immediately.

When you're in Paris, the "touristy" sights are important. Really, who wants to be in Paris without experiencing the top de la Tour Eiffel or Arc de Triomphe, the walk along avenue des Champs-Élysées, boating down the Siennes, visiting the Louvre and eating, eating, eating all of the cheese, chocolate and croissants that you can get your hands on? Of course, we did all of those things, but for me, the best part of the entire holiday was our daily picnic.

Every day, we wandered in the morning until we found a market. There, we would buy wine (or champagne, depending on our mood), cheese, bread and fruit. We would stop wherever we found a patch of grass and sit, eating, talking, and laughing for hours in the perfect spring sun until we decided it was time to see something else. That holiday taught me that "perfect," can in fact, be an understatement.

We've recently learned that my boyfriend's company is moving him to the middle east, to a place where I won't be able to go, at least not for a while. Although I know it will be hard to be so far apart for so long, I also know that we will have more opportunities to meet like that in other amazing cities in the world. I'm hoping that knowledge will help us through our time apart.

- Erin from Erinologies

Photos: Carter Smith via Dustjacket Attic, Flickr

17 comments:

M said...

I love Paris... and what a wonderful story. My boyfriend of a year and a half will be leaving to teach English in Japan for a year this coming September. While I stay here working in Texas. I will get to see him once or twice during that time. To read that you've been in different countries and have made it work is very refreshing!

Chic Coles said...

I have never been to Paris but I can only imagine how romantic it is.

C said...

What a warm, loving, incredibly sweet story! Its the little things that matter so much...hope you'll have more wonderful adventures in future!

Fashion of Photos said...

Thanks for sharing. It's a heart warming post. I cannot wait to go to Paris with my significant other.

http://fashionofphotos.blogspot.com/

Christina @ My Sparrow said...

What a wonderful post! I am so missing Paris and long to go again and share it with my husband..

Miz.November said...

Being away from your sweetheart is so difficult. I know. The military takes mine away from time to time. Its good to be able to draw from those moments that really establish you as a strong couple.

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

For some reason I remember picnics in France especially from childhood. I think it's the bread and cheese that makes all the difference. Oh, and the herbs that you crush underfoot when walking in the countryside.

jessica | destined to design said...

Heavenly. Beautiful photos.

Stephanie said...

The idea of a picnic in Paris under the eiffel tower gives me warm fuzzies! I can't imagine how hard it would be to be away from the bf for so long of a time, but your relationship sounds very strong!

Erin Elizabeth said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments...Daniella has fantastic readers. :)

SPLENDEROSA said...

Lovely post.

Maison.Marie said...

Thank you for sharing your story!
I met my husband 3 years ago because he went to work in Mozambique as a consultant in a project I worked as Manager, however, we met, and fell for each other at the first sight, here in US. Over these 3 years we have over 1 million frequent flyer miles because we see each other at least 2x a month for only the weekend, (he comes to US or I go to Brazil where he lives/works),and we try to have at least 2-3 extended vacations per year.
The last extended vacation we took was 5 days in Paris. We spent New Year’s with his parents. My mother-in-law wanted to go one last time to Paris...She will be 78 years old in July and my father-in -law will be 80 in a few days. It was like their last travel together. And like a last meal, they decided to have a great one... and Paris is great!!! Anytime of the year!
Best of luck in your relationship! When you find the ONE there is no distance that will make a difference!

Destination Inspiration said...

Beautiful post, and story...I'll be spending my first time in Paris later this year and I cannot wait. Where in the Middle East is he relocating to? I'm in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, why can't you visit to where he is headed? Good luck with the relationship, long distance can be tricky :)

Sarah Klassen said...

What a lovely, beautifully written piece about Paris. Stories like this make places like Paris become real...

I do hope you have the chance to visit this romantic city again soon -- and may you build some new, surprising memories...

............................................

I cannot wait to go back! I plan to visit Paris again soon, but also, I want to head to the South. I adore the South just as much...

Erin Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Sarah...I hope so too. :)

Dustjacket Attic said...

The mention of Paris makes me glaze over...I just adored your post (& thankyou for the link love) Your time there sounds so perfect.

Best of luck to your boyfriend in his new post and for lots of great get-togethers for you both.
xxx DJ

Erin Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much, DJ...All of the support has been incredible and I've discovered so many new and wonderful blogs! I'm so glad I sent the story to Daniella. xo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin