4.14.2010

{guest post} passion for peru...







I was fortunate enough to take a 6 week travel study to Peru and the trip was unbelievable. We traveled all over, first visiting the city of Cuzco where the people were rich in tradition and culture. Many women wore their dark long hair in braids and it was not a rare occasion to see them walking with an incredibly soft llama or alpaca. I bought a beautiful blue and white watercolor of a street scene there from a man sitting on the sidewalk, painting. He had a huge collection of his artwork and his hands, to which mine paled in comparison, were used and covered with paint. We enjoyed hikes over mountains and past ancient ruins, learning history and breathing in the beauty every step of the way. We sipped on fresh strawberry juice and danced the salsa.

I took a four-day journey on foot through the Inca Trails, reaching high altitudes, sleeping with and above the clouds and staring at a whole new sky full of stars. On the fourth day we finally arrived at Machu Picchu, one of the seven wonders of the world and were greeted by the bright sun reflecting off of the rocks and stunning green grass. The view was unreal. It felt like such a long journey and I had finally reached this world wonder full of spirit and beauty. I could have stared at it for days. As we were heading down the mountain on a bus, the road twisted back and forth and on every other turn a little boy ran beside the bus screaming at the top of his lungs. At the bottom of the hill, the bus driver let him on and he walked down the aisle with his pocket open, asking for donations. I never would've guessed that is what he was up to.

The trip was incredible. I visited many other cities, encountering colorful markets, sand dune buggies, beautiful churches, the ocean, and fire dancers. I could write about it for pages as I flip through photo albums and scrapbooks of my time there. If you ever have the chance to visit Peru, I highly recommend it!

- Nicole from Everyday Ebullience & Everyday Ebullience Etsy Shop

Photos: Carter Smith via FGR

9 comments:

Punctuation Mark said...

So jealous of that trip... I've heard is beautiful and as a Peruvian food lover I'm sure you had the best food ever... have a great day and please come over to my blog and participate on my latest blog!

the red bungalow said...

Aye! Picture number 1 is beautiful...this is really making me want to grow out my locks. :)

Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

Tori said...

Wow! Sounds like such an amazing trip!

Nicole* said...

how exciting! thank you so much for including me Daniella! and I love the images you chose - beautiful.

xoxo
Nicole* (Everyday Ebullience)

http://sngriffi.blogspot.com/

Carole said...

Lovely post Nicole. I did a very similar trip a few years back and would love to return.

shari @ little blue deer said...

That's so cool, and I would never think of Peru as a place to visit. Guess I will need to rethink that, and the photos are stunning! Love!

Nicole* said...

thank you Carole! that's exciting that you've been too! I posted some pictures from my trip (that go along with the story) on my blog if anyone is interested :)

Kristin Hjellegjerde said...

Ohhhh, you made me dream....

Beebs said...

absolutely stunning!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin