4.20.2010

{part one} sun, sand, and plenty of shopping...














It's only been a few days since my return home, but I absolutely miss every minute of our time in L.A. I just can't get over how refreshingly different each area is! A twenty minute drive could mean surfing on a nearby beach or shopping on one of the most glamorous streets in the world. It's really quite impressive...

Our first stop – Santa Monica! After heading to Enterprise with the intention of renting a compact car, but then leaving with a convertible after scoring a great deal, our trip was off to a really great start! Santa Monica is so laid-back, with the perfect beach-town vibe... a great place to start exploring all kinds of little shops and cafés. A walk along the beach was a welcoming breath of fresh air, as we made our way down to the Santa Monica Pier. We of course had to take a ride on the practically famous, brightly-coloured ferris wheel, where we had the pleasure of taking in the most amazing view.

Headed to Malibu the next day, enjoying a breezy drive down the Pacific Coast highway! With the ocean on your left and the incredible landscape on your right, it's almost impossible to let the traffic bother you (at least for us tourists, with all the time in the world). We first made our way up to The Getty Villa – the most incredible coastal property formerly owned by J. Paul Getty, and modelled after a first-century Roman country house, the Villa dei Papiri in Herculaneum, Italy. The architecture was just gorgeous. It's something that's so hard to capture on film, as any photo just doesn't do the place justice! So many beautiful interiors, fountains, pools, and the prettiest little herb garden just out back. I'm so glad we took the time to see such an amazing work of art.

Back down the hill again, we headed to Surfrider beach in Malibu. Two o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon and the ocean is filled with surfers happily awaiting the next wave. I can't help but wonder if anyone really works during the daytime, lol... what a lovely life to lead, no? I ended up with quite the collection of pretty stones and shells from the beach too. I love just walking up and down the water's edge, in search of a great find. Found even more great finds at the Third Street Promenade though, where we literally shopped till the sun went down... always a fun adventure!

The next day we headed to Venice beach, only to come across some of the most interesting groups of people... surfers, skaters, artists, rockers and beach bums, it was such a delight to come across so many artsy little corners, and quite hilarious to overhear conversations such as, "Oh yeah! That's the girl who painted all the trashcans on a crystal-meth binge!", oh dear... lol. Almost walked through a taping of NCIS L.A. as well, only to be ushered up onto the nearest hill. It was fun to watch for a little while though as they perfected each scene – cameras, mic's, and wires in tow!

I really enjoyed our time on the coast... there's nothing like the sound of crashing waves and that lovely ocean breeze on your skin. We spent a lot of time in and out of cute little shops on the main street... my favourite being an eco-shop called The Green Life, where I picked up that Russell + Hazel blue binder I had posted about (here) before, and a few light, cotton produce bags. No more plastic for me! I had the best veggie burger of my life from Perry's Cafe on the beach – might not be so amazing to the locals, but it was absolutely my favourite! All and all our time here was well-spent, and i'd love to go back again... there's so much more to see! But next up for us, was the glitz and glam of Beverly Hills...

Stay tuned for more!

*Update: Almost forgot... in Venice we decided to take part in a practically 1 million dollar condo open house, where we pretended to be wealthy graphic designers in the market for a live/work studio space. With questions like "How many parking spots does this come with?" and "Can you knock out this wall for me?" I think he actually believed us! Luckily we were able to wait till we were outside, before bursting into laughter... pretty fun though!

Photos: 1 - 4 Santa Monica, 5 - 10 The Getty Villa in Malibu, 11 - 14 Surfrider beach in Malibu, 15 - 17 Venice, 18 - a gift for someone special between Venice and Santa Monica - wish I had been there to see the expression on their face! All photos taken by myself.

13 comments:

Ink and Belle said...

Wonderful photos! I especially like the first and last ones :D xxx

Sarah @http://www.inkandbelle.blogspot.com

♥Simply Seductive said...

Sounds like a wonderful adventure, Daniella. Love the photographs and of course your enthusiastic and descriptive summary of your stay... can't wait for part 2!

Punctuation Mark said...

I am transported by this images... so many great memories... thanks for the images... please participate with your images on my new giveaway... have a nice one!

Laura Trevey said...

Love these photos.... beach, palm trees, shopping!

xoxo Laura

Miz.November said...

Oh, I am so glad that you had such a good time. It sounds really amazing. I love the pics. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more.

stylecurator said...

your pictures reflect views I see everyday-but your photography skills are incredible! It's like seeing those things for the first time.

Copious Couture said...

I have always wanted to visit LA, those pictures above confirmed i need to go there ASAP!!! great pics!!! love them!!!

Carissa
http://copiouscouture.blogspot.com

Destination Inspiration said...

What a great story Daniella! I love the Santa Monica Pier and your story about the open house..haha, too funny!

Daniella said...

Ink and Belle - thank you! i also love the first one, one of my favs!

Linda - Thanks so much! Glad to hear you liked my stories too! lol...

Punctuation Mark - Glad to hear I could take you away for a bit there! I'll have to drop by your blog...

Laura - The palm trees were insane... some are so incredibly tall!

Miz. November - Thank you! Part two coming up!

Stylecurator - Wow! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I love taking lots of vaca photos... Glad I could offer a different perspective. You are so lucky to be there every day though!

Copious Couture - Go! You'll love it!

Destination Inspiration - The open house adventure was truly hilarious. I can't believe we made it through the whole time without laughing. I just about died when Angele inquired about parking spaces, lol.

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

great photos! your trip sound amazing! i too love LA and all the different little places to go that are just a few minutes from each other. i love how the weather is always perfect!

Laura Gaskill said...

You're killing me! Gorgeous photos, and I love that you went to a fancy-schmancy open house :) I have some family in Santa Monica & now that I'm on the east coast I really miss my visits down there!! I LOVE the weather, the colors, the lifestyle, ah...

Fig and Willow said...

Thanks for posting on my most favorite place. Brings back many memories for me. You have captured the essence of Santa Monica beautifully.

Vicky @ Acoustic Wave said...

I've never visited west coast America, but these pictures make it look really bohemian and fun :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin