4.21.2010

{part two} glitz + glam...















Hollywood and Beverly Hills are like their own little separate worlds... it's really quite unbelievable that they're just a short trip away from the casual, sandy shores of the coast. It seemed like everyone we met had their day-job and then their "real job", be it acting, screenwriting, producing, or directing – which they were more than willing to chat about. I have to say though, everyone was so welcoming and nice! I was really impressed by how friendly people in California are.

Our first stop was a new hotel, dinner, and drinks in Beverly Hills. Our hotel was decorated with a modern 60's twist and I just loved it! We had the best mexican food from a little place called Frida. It was quite amusing to watch the cars go by on the street, one BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Bentley after another...

Next up was Hollywood, starting with those famous white letters up in the hills. Now contrary to popular belief (and what 90210 has us thinking) you can't actually go all the way up to the letters. In fact on our drive up there were several signs warning no access to the Hollywood sign, meant to make tourists like us turn around. But since I was already driving uphill, in a one lane road, twisting and turning with no way of seeing who was around corner, I figured we might as well keep going! Turns out it was for the best, as we eventually made it to the top and scored some really great photos. There's a separate road that actually goes up to the letters... but with the threat of arrest, mountain lions, and rattle snakes, we were pretty satisfied that we made it up that far. It was quite the adventure though, and thankfully I didn't run into one car on the way down either, lucky right?

Then we met a man named Bones. Yes, Bones. After a leisurely stroll through the Hollywood Cemetery we decided to get in line for what looked like the Dr.Phil show, at Paramount Studios next door. As we reached the front of the line we were told by the woman that they were unfortunately all booked up. Another employee offered to try and get us seats, but no such luck either. After wandering down a little further we ended up inside the security lobby of Paramount looking for a phone to try and get tickets for the next show, no such luck again – even after the security guard called for us as well. Just as we were about to give up the security guard asked a man going through the gate if he knew anything about tickets... well turns out "Bones" is the stage manager for The Doctors and offered to take us himself! We were marched right past the line and the woman we originally had asked, who had looked a little shocked when Bones announced we were with him, VIP, and that we should get the best seats, lol. I felt like I just got swept in la la land! It was absolutely hilarious to witness his employees scramble, asking us "How do you know Bones?" and "How did you just come back with the stage manager?". It was fun to be a part of the audience though, and witness how they tape the whole thing. I think the episode will air next week, but we're in the second row and I have a bright coral cardigan on. Can't wait to see if we made it on TV!

After the taping we headed right into Hollywood to walk along the stars and visit Grauman's Chinese Theatre, where I discovered Arnold's hands are huge and Julie Andrew's fit just right. It was a little disappointing though to see so many abandoned theatres along the street. It's a shame that they're not still in business today. But I suppose with all the big box theatres moving into every town, it's a little inevitable.

That night while having drinks by the pool, we met the most interesting older gentleman, dressed to impress with red rimmed glasses and shiny shoes. Turns out he's also an actor/producer/directer too and had so many interesting stories to share! We learned the hotel we were staying at had once been visited by many actors and actresses of the past, including Marilyn Monroe! He also dropped at the last minute that his grandson is in that band... "Oh what's it called... LMAFO." What a random encounter right? You never know who you'll meet in L.A., like the waiter who's working on the new Rainbow Bright movie script, or the girl out front of your hotel who's playing Bella in the Twilight spoof film.

The next day was our last so we decided on a leisurely breakfast and a walk on Rodeo Drive. Rodeo Drive is just as I imagined it to be. Gorgeous, sunny, and full of the latest in fashion. Chanel was a dream, Tiffany's was unreal, Hermes was full of colour, and La Perla was to die for. It's fascinating to discover what some call reality. You could totally get caught up in that world in a split second if you're not careful. It was a delight to visit though!

All in all it was a wonderful trip, but with so much more to see in L.A., and California for that matter, (insert Arnold's voice here) i'll be back.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my (quite long) vacation stories. I just had to share our adventures in L.A. with you all. It's been fun!

Photos: 1 & 2 view from the "top" of the Hollywood hill, 3 - 9 the streets of Hollywood, 10 - 11 The Avalon Hotel where we stayed in Beverly Hills, 12 - 21 Beverly Hills neighbourhood and Rodeo Drive, 22 - Paulette Macarons in Beverly Hills. All photos taken by myself.

16 comments:

Ink and Belle said...

Beautiful photos, it sounds and looks so cool there! :) xxx

Sarah @http://www.inkandbelle.blogspot.com

C said...

Your trip truly sounds like it was a whirlwind adventure! Marilyn and Audrey side by side, was Grace there too? That rodeo drive montage is killing me, super chic all the storefronts in clean lined black & white!

Geisslein said...

oh how exciting! your trip really sounds great!

Simone said...

This was such a great read, I loved it! You read a lot of things that make you never want to go to LA....whereas this made me long to go!!

Great photos too :)

Destination Inspiration said...

No Daniella thank you for sharing your stories! You'll have to let us know if you pop up on the Doctor's, what a cool (VIP) experience. I love how the old man so off-handedly mentioned his grandson being in LMFAO, like it's nothing at all. Too funny, what a great trip, loved reading this post

Camille @ Style Notes said...

So crazy that I'm dispatching from LA today too...we were probably crossing paths with our cameras on Rodeo Drive last week! :) http://wp.me/pt4zb-1d9

amy b.s. said...

awesome! glad you had such a good time!

Emily Rose said...

The world is a small one. I used to work on The Doctors and one of my closest friends is a producer there. Its fun to see it on your blog! I never watched the show before I worked there so I sort of forget that it exists outside the walls of my world. Glad you enjoyed your time in this crazy city. Let me know if you are ever in town again and I will give you some tips on an insiders view of Los Angeles.

Sarah Klassen said...

I loved this vacation re-cap, Daniella! You had me laughing over some of these stories! I was just there, but now, I want to go back again :)

*D* said...

thanks for sharing your vacation stories! reminds me of my trip to LA last summer. i miss it so much, and there is so much to do there you can never get it done in just one trip! i hope to travel that way again this summer. and I love your photos!

Daniella said...

Ink and Belle - Thank you! It was really cool, i'd love to go back.

C - Grace Kelly? Yes! I have a picture of that star too. Actually I took A LOT of star photos, lol... they could be a post all on their own! I even found Lassie's star...

Simone - Glad to provide a different perspective on things! I'd go back or sure... April was the perfect timing too... right before Spring Break as well.

Destination Inspiration - Haha thank you! And yes, i'll let you all know when I find out when the episode airs... hopefully soon!

Emily Rose - Too funny! So do you know Bones then? He was awesome, and a soon as he got on set he was all business, it was pretty hilarious.

Sarah - Glad you liked them! We just met so many funny people out there, had a great time. Let's go back! lol...

D - I hope you get to go again, and it's so true... there so much more to see. I'd love to go visit the Hearst Castle... I hear it's incredible.

Design Darling said...

your trip sounds like it was amazing! the weather looks perfect, although i suppose that's california for you :) absolutely love your photos!

Miz.November said...

I loved reading both of your vacation posts. Yes, they were longer than normal. But they were so worth reading. You did such a great job of making a story out of it. Thanks again for sharing it all with us.

connie said...

Awww so glad you had a good time! Your post makes me miss LA! :)

Next time you go & want to see a taping of something, let me know...one of my closest friends works in TV too! :)

A Casa da Vá said...

girl the way you describe is so great, i will make sure to try frida and perry's cafe! ^_^

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

I just came upon your blog and I have been reading back through old posts and wonderful pictures...

I used to work with Bones. He's the best. Small world.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin