5.19.2010

terracotta dreams :: a balcony retreat...







Lately i've been thinking about how to transform my blah and bleak balcony into something of a personal retreat. Just a little space to get away and relax, read a book, or have a leisurely breakfast to start the day right. A spot to get away from day-to-day life... even if just for a few lovely moments!

Totally inspired by the classic terracotta pot, and the elegance of french gardens, I started things off with two round boxwood shrubs in terracotta pots and it looks better already! This past weekend I bought a beautiful wooden bistro set, and an accompanying carpet with a lovely damask-like pattern. I can't wait to get it all set up outside... and hopefully pick up some striking red flowers and a few fragrant herbs to plant this upcoming long weekend...

Do you have a balcony (or backyard) retreat of your own?

Photos: Interieurs de Provence by Taschen - scanned by myself, Head Over Heels & Brabourne Farm, Andrew Montgomery and Home and Gardens via Brabourne Farm, Southern Living, Decorology

13 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Yeah U do enjoy a good terracotta pot - lovely balcony's!

Kristin Hjellegjerde said...

It is time to plant... and you reminded me:)

Laura Trevey said...

I do have a backyard retreat, but not as lovely as this one! I cherish my boxwoods too!!

Christina said...

I love the last image so much. The door beckoning you to walk through and explore. My backyard retreat is a lawn chair on a sunny day.

Ginger Roxy said...

Sigh ....I now want to move to countryside and stock up on planting gear and wear white lace dresses while roaming a garden like this....


xox

ginger


http://gingerroxy.blogspot.com

Jane Flanagan said...

The space in the top image is such a dream!

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Oh my goodness, Daniella! That first image is insanely beautiful. For the first time ever, I have a good size garden to fix up but I think it's going to be quite some time before I get to it! It sounds like you're off to a good start on your balcony though. :)

Heidi said...

Very nice, did I mention that I love your blog. Great taste and a great eye. Heidi

SogniSorrisi said...

So rustic and beautiful!

Amie said...

I just recently fixed up my tiny (REALLY TINY) patio - it's very long but only about a yard wide. I got a small table from Ikea and some terra cotta potts and put calla lilies, impatiens and a schefflera plant in them. It looks so much better! I too love the look of simple terra cotta, it definitely reminds me of the pictures you have above, or a beautiful home in the Tuscan hills.

you can check out the patio here:
http://www.abbeycatchat.com/2010/05/patio-project-almost-complete.html

vicki archer said...

These are great inspirations....xv

The Iconic Blog.com said...

I do and just bought a kumquat tree, a white hydranga, lots of fresh herbs and a beautiful trellised bougainvillea plant. An outdoor Greek key rug provided the most drastic transformation coupled with a teak outdoor dining set. Last but not least a stone fountain is a MUST!x

Luna and Chloe said...

I have a backyard that needs to be redone...really, I don't have an excuse as my sissy is a landscape designer...I keep blaming her that she hasn't drawn something up for me! I do however LOVE these spaces and it would be amazing to try and recreate the first or last pic! Great inspiration.

xoxo
kristi

Blog Widget by LinkWithin