10.26.2010

riding lessons...









Hi everyone! Yesterday seemed to have totally flown by, after a not-so-great start to the morning though. I ended up locking my keys in the car and then ran into a "check oil" flashing light issue... needless to say I should really be paying more attention. After a busy day though, I had my very first riding lesson last night! It was so much fun getting to know the horses, learning grooming, and trying to get my balance. I can't believe the sheer size of some horses though, especially the show horses practically twice my height. Riding is something I've always wanted to learn though... just sort of thought about it, but never tried out. I loved going on trail rides, even though the last time I went the horse got a little spooked, so I really wanted to learn the proper way to ride. I'm pretty sure I just forgot all the terms they taught me, but hopefully i'll eventually remember. I'm not sure how far i'll go with it, but my first lesson was great! Have you ever gone for riding lessons or jumping? Any tips?

Photos: 1, 3 & 6 John Balsom for Harper's Bazaar Nov 2010 via FGR, 2 & 5 - Scan by Dress, Design & Decor from Equestrian Style, 4 - J.Crew Weatherby Riding Boot, 7 - Scan by Dress, Design & Decor from Interieurs de Provence, 8 - Scan by Dress, Design & Decor from Junk Style

16 comments:

kate funk said...

I want that puppy and those boots!
velvet cupcakes

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Sounds like fun. My Dad has a gorgeous horse barn in KY, but no horses, bummer.
PS- Missed your musings yesterday!

secret, fragile skies said...

Great post, clothes - love the boots. Perfect time of year to ride. Good luck!

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi said...

I really need a pair of riding boots. Sorry your week started out kind of rough.

liz said...

Stay with it until you learn to jump . . . it is truly amazing - there is nothing else like it!!! liz

Rachael said...

Love these pictures and the boots are so great!

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

Laura Trevey said...

Nothing says Fall like tweed and a good pair of riding boots!!

ana castilho said...

Beautiful blog!

La Maison Fou said...

Great post, love the riding apparrel and that pin, I must!!!

Best advice to give, be confident and firm but attentive. The horse is an animal of flight and all you have to do is listen. Body language says it all the eyes, the ears,the legs and tail will let you know what he or she is thinking.
Above all, enjoy the ride and have fun. It's the next best thing to flying!
L.

VogueOntheRange said...

Simply adore this post. It is utter perfection!

Sarah Klassen said...

Oh no! Do you happen to have a vw? My Jetta always did that or "check engine", and same with my Mother's little beetle convertible. UGH! I hope all is fixed now...

but how fun about starting riding lessons -- that's wonderful! enjoy the lessons. I've had just one that I actually won from an art contest. I didn't go too fast or far though, as I didn't want to kick the horse! haha, can you believe? I was only nine. I wish I had some tips to share!

xoxo

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

Gorgeous pics!

That's amazing you are taking riding lessons. I've only been on a horse twice (2nd time scared the crap out of me but I'm ready to get back on) and they are the most beautiful animals ever. Seriously, ever time I see one up closet, I am in complete awe. Enjoy your lessons!

Anonymous said...

In my experience that check oil or check engine light goes off pretty much for no reason in a lot of cases. Sometimes it means the computer/switch is wearing out. Other times it means there is an oil leak somewhere or you need an oil change.

Manolos to Asolos said...

I've been riding horses my whole life, but in the past years, since college and now out of college I just haven't made the time for it. I miss it terribly. The best advice I can give you is to feel your way through it. The passing of energy between animals and humans is very powerful. They can detect fear, anxiety, nerves... they pick up on everything!

Just relax and enjoy it. You really have to learn to let go, but be in control at the same time!

Most importantly: Have fun!

xo,
Sarah
Manolos to Asolos

P.S. I look at your blog everyday! LOVE IT

Darcy Ann said...

bravo!! riding is amazing. i have been an equestrian since the age of 5 (over 30 years!). the calm balance you must keep in both body & mind i liken to yoga. and jumping is a nirvana - the perfect point of total awareness working in unison with your mount then flying through the air. bliss. keep up the work and conquer your nerves. your thighs will love you for it.

erin said...

See lace up boots are cute!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin