10.03.2010

sunday night tales...












This weekend I came across a little miniature version of Peter Rabbit books that I just had to scoop up! When I was younger I was given a collection of Beatrix Potter's tales, along with an adorable Peter Rabbit china set. Most of the pieces are tucked away in a box somewhere at my parents, marked with crayons and fingerprints of course, but I admit I still love The Tale of Peter Rabbit to this day. There's just something so sweet, and yet real about Beatrix Potter's books. She came up with so many magical tales but her illustrations were so accurately detailed. She published 23 books, the first in 1902, which hasn't been out of print since! She also created the first patented soft plush toy, making Peter Rabbit the oldest licensed character. And the best part? She turned down Walt Disney when he tried to buy the rights to Peter Rabbit... I really don't think the character would be what it is today if Disney had taken over, you know?

In the meantime... saving this adorable little set of miniature books to reminisce over memories past...

Photos: 1, 4, 6 & 8 scanned by Dress, Design & Decor from Vogue February 2007 - Renee Zellweger photographed by Mario Testino, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, & 11 my own photos - Dress, Design & Decor

18 comments:

Emily said...

I love Beatrix Potter! She was a favorite of mine growing up (and still is). So adorable!

Sasha {Everything Fabulous} said...

what a lovely post!! Love that book!! and your pictures are amazing!!! Hope you have a fabulous week!!

Madam Butterfly said...

Thank you so much! I loved your post!

Caroline said...

What a wonderful post. It brought back so many beautiful memories from my childhood surrounding her books.
Thank you for such a lovely blog!

Caroline said...

What a wonderful post! It brought back so many beautiful memories from my childhood surrounding her books.
Thank you for such a lovely blog.

Dustjacket Attic said...

I love the characters and the world she created. I would really like to visit the Lakes District where she lived and worked.

Lovely post,
xoxo

Mathildes skatter said...

Beautiful pictures. Love the illustrations. So cute. Need to find my old Beatrix Potter books. Have a nice day.

Lena said...

I LOVE Peter Rabbit!!! Reminds me of my childhood :)

andrea said...

aw, i loved peter rabbit as a kid and in 3rd grade i even started to draw my own little story inspired by it! it was supposed to be about a chipmunk but i never got past the first picture!

i never knew that about walt disney!!! crazy! makes me admire her even more!

oh and if you haven't seen the movie with renee, you should :)

Samantha said...

as a future elementary school teacher, i can say that beatrix potter will DEFINITELY be on my kids' reading lists!

Marcie said...

I have these exact little books at my mom's house. I am so getting those next time I am there. I just love them.

x oM

Sarah Klassen said...

Aww, I love this post so much, Daniella!

I remember these sweet little books -- I think I still have my Mother's set that she gave me, packed away safely. For a second, silly me, I think Renee might have been in a modern day Peter Rabbit movie, from these pictures -- wouldn't that be fun? Did you get the set that comes in the little box with gold rope handles?

xoxo

Yelena said...

what a lovely photo editorial. :)
i think my favorite is that first photo ;)

Priscila Peters said...

Nice post.

Tidyowl said...

Arguably the best designed books ever!

la la Lovely said...

Loving your blog and this post. I have been wanting to rent this movie forever and couldn't find it anywhere. I adore Beatrix Potter. My little girl has the tea set too!
xo Trina

Daniella said...

Awww, I am SO happy this post brought back so many wonderful memories for everyone... seriously awesome! This is why I love blogging, there's so many of you out there who all love the sam things I do, and even treasured the same childhood characters... so sweet!

Thanks for your comments and sharing everyone!

Also, thanks about my pics! Hoping to take more of my own shots in the future!

jenn said...

I've been snooping around your blog for quite some time but somehow I just came across this post. I don't know how I missed it! The images brought back such memories for me too. I'm pretty sure that I have this same set of books and the china set hidden away somewhere at my parents house too. You've inspired me to search for it next time I visit.

ps. Love your blog! You always have the best photos.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin