11.24.2010

gift idea...



While flipping through the December issue of Style at Home tonight, I came across the staff's picks for "best gift... ever received" and I love that design editor, Christine Hanlon said antique silverware that she received from another designer...

"I love anything vintage. A designer whom I once worked with used to give me sets of antique silverware tied with ribbon on special occasions. Such a lovely gift!"

I love this idea! I've been collecting antique silverware with mother-of-pearl handles, with the hopes that one day I could mix and match and have a little dinner party with them, or at least use them as plating utensils... plus, they're just so pretty so look at with such elegant craftsmanship. Unlike my everyday IKEA set, lol...

What's the best gift you ever received?

Photos: 1 - By Ryan Brook for Style at Home December 2010, 2 - Mother-of-pearl silverware - my own.

13 comments:

sweet european dreams said...

One year I gave my mother-in-law a set of antique silver soup spoons - she still raves about them! My best gift ever received was a set of vintage Fiesta serving pieces, in chartreuse - my favorite, and they were from my MIL! have a blessed holiday! -diane

YYZ said...

I love my silver, vintage and non-vintage. I must say, though, that I love my mis-matched vintage stuff best-- I picked it up in Paris (my suitcase was SO heavy!) and I use it all the time. I always have my eyes open for old, mismatched silver-- it is so satisfying to polish it up and see it gleam! I also like the way my vintage silver makes my Ikea 365 dishes look like something special! :)

Jordana @ White Cabana said...

I love this idea too. I've recently started collecting vintage crystal stemware and think that this would make an equally beautiful gift. I've received so many lovely gifts over the years. Last year I got some vintage Birks silver serving pieces and milk glass. I also got my first sewing machine which I absolutely adore! How does anyone live without a sewing machine! :)
-J
p.s. Beautiful photos...as always!

Christina @ greige and My Sparrow said...

I think it is a wonderful idea! I simply love the bone handled pieces but for some reason never buy them.. Now I must!

Have a great day!
Christina

annawithlove said...

very cute idea! love it and would love to receive it!

http://www.annawithlove.com

Sarah Klassen said...

lovely gift idea!

one of the greatest gifts I ever received was a very large canvas, painted by my boyfriend. He painted one of my favorite fashion images, but made it his own, and added a special touch just for me... it hangs above my bed, and each time I walk into my bedroom it makes me happy to look at...

xoxo

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

I actually have a pile of vintage cutlery my mom picked up for me just lying around. I love this idea of tying a cute little ribbon around a bunch and giving as gifts! Mine aren't as pretty as these mother-of-pearl ones, but they do have a certain charm!

OR DESIGN 2009 said...

It's the perfect idea for a beautiful tanksgiving table,congratulation for your blog.

Or
www.ordesign2009.blogspot.com

JOHANNA said...

love your blog!

Giulia s. said...

I absolutely love this idea!
...and love your blog too!!
Giulia

Ann said...

No doubt its got to be one of the best gift ideas... antique silverware. But if I receive on I know its going to be displayed and will seldom be used.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I thought this was a great idea as well!

The Handsome Hound said...

Lovely idea...the pale blue ribbon looks so pretty against the silver!

Great blog by the way....

AJP

Blog Widget by LinkWithin